Sweeten's Cove Primitive Baptist Church
This church was known as Union Primitive Baptist Church when formed in 1821. The name was changed to Sweeten's Cove Primitive Baptist Church in 1834. The church has met continuously since 1821 (though formerly in another building and location) except during the Civil War when the building was used as a barracks and hospital by the Union army. The present building was built in 1853. The above information was obtained from the book, Old Primitive Baptist Church Books Marion County, Tennessee, Sweeten's Cove 1821-1868 and Mount Moriah 1888-1916, transcribed by Jerry Blevins.
Early members were Robert Bean and Martha (Patsy) Womack Bean (before this structure was built).
Back to Southern & Swedish