from copy transcribed in
"History of Trucks (Trux) Family 1750-1967"
by Clyde Trucks, Sr. and Joel Lee Trucks
page 292 of "History of
pages 7-8 of "History of Trucks..."
"William Trux or Trucks was born in Connecticut, and was a resident of Kingston Township in 1796. During his residence here he was a justice of the peace, served on the proprietors committee, and was a leader of public affairs. He was, perhaps, the leading and most progressive citizen in the territory over the mountain. There is now however, no representative of the family in this section" (1930). (This quoted from the Kingston Township booklet, but continues with quote from Trucks booklet).
"Elsewhere in this book (Kingston Township booklet), and from other sources, the following additional information is available.
All northeastern Pennsylvania was claimed by Connecticut claimants under the Royal Charter of 1662 and an Indian purchase of 1754. Penn's heirs claimed it under the grant of 1681 and Indian purchase of 1768. After much dispute, litigation, and three shooting wars, called the Yankee-Pennamite Wars, it was finally made into Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, the Penn claim having been sustained by the Decree of Trenton, New Jersey, by special court, December 30, 1782.
Kingston Township, as laid out by the Connecticut men, began at the Susquehanna River and extended northwestward about six miles. The river land was subsequently cut off into other municipalities, leaving only the hilly section, still called Kingston Township, now part of Luzerne County, PA.
Trucksville is an unincorporated village in Kingston Township. On April 22, 1803, Joel Lucas conveyed to William Trucks Lots 21 and 22, fourth division, including an excellent mill site.
In 1801, Trucks had already bought a large plot in the adjoining township of Bedford, upon which most of the center of the town of Dallas was built. As early as 1796 Trucks owned, somewhere in Kingston TWP., 36 acres occupied land, 208 acres unoccupied land, one horse and two cattle, listed as a carpenter and millwright.
By 1804 his holdings were 816 acres and three cattle. Before 1804 Trucks had built at his mill site, now in Trucksville, a large grist mill of logs, two storied high, with one pair of mill stones, cut out by himself from local conglomerate rock. After being run through the stones and ground, the grain was caught in bags and again carried upstairs by hand, where it was thrown into a hopper and shook by hand through a coarse cloth and thus belted.
About the same time he built nearby on the same creek a sawmill. He built for himself nearby a house of logs, hewn on four sides, with two rooms downstairs, a center chimney with two fireplaces. About 1811, Trucks removed to Wayne, Knox County, Ohio, leaving power of attorney with agents to sell his properties. The Trucksville properties were sold in 1812. The Dallas property was in dispute and patent was finally issued by the State of Pennsylvania to William Trucks, Jr. in 1812. He sold it to Philip Shaver in 1813, for whom the intervening village of Shavertown, PA was named."
Footnote by the authors Clyde Trucks, Sr. and Joel Lee Trucks: "We went to Trucksville and found the old mill sites on Tobey Creek. Part of the rock foundations are still there."
Back to Trucks/Trux Descendant Chart